How far do you live from your church?
The question of distance from church has been on my mind a lot lately. I realized the other day that I've never, in my entire life, lived within walking distance of any of the churches I've attended—it's always been a bit of a drive across or into town to get to church.
Is that weird? Unhealthy even?
I can think of a lot of reasons why it's better to live close to the church you attend. It's easier to be involved with everyday church activities when you can walk or bike there easily. You don't burn as much $4.00 gas getting to the worship service on Sunday. (And of course, you can get an extra twenty minutes of sleep on Sunday mornings if you don't have a twenty-minute commute to church.)
So, I've put together a poll to find out where you all stand. Take the poll (on the right side of the page) and let us know how far you travel to get to your church on Sunday. Then share your thoughts below! Here's a few discussion questions to consider:
- Are you happy with your current distance from church? Would you like to be closer or farther?
- Do most of the people at your church live in the close vicinity of church, or does much of your congregation have a commute? How does that affect the everyday life of your church?
- What positive/negative things have you found in your own experience about living nearer or farther from church?
Oh, and as for last week's poll: 150 of you chimed in to say which Narnia book you were most looking forward to seeing on the big screen. Here's how you voted:
- 29% are looking forward to The Last Battle. (Here's hoping the Narnia movies remain popular/profitable enough to make it all the way to the end of the line!)
- An especially astute 23% want to see Dawn Treader.
- Closely lined up behind those two are The Magician's Nephew (18%), The Horse and His Boy (11%), and The Silver Chair (10%).
- And a desperate 9% pleaded that there be no more Narnia movies.
Thanks as always for participating. Now go vote in the new poll, and share your thoughts below about commuting to church!
update: Oops, I lied. I did live within walking distance of a church at one point, during my brief time in grad school in Chicago. It was really nice, but I wasn't there long enough to get heavily involved in the church.